31/10/2015

// book review + discussion: everything everything by nicola yoon


Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Publication: 1st of September 2015 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Format: Ebook, 240 pages

Goodreads // Amazon // Book Depository

Synopsis: 

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla. 
 
But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.
 
Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.


Review: 

Everything, Everything is one of those books with an uber pretty cover that turns heads and calls out your attention to go pick it up. And really, I'm so happy that I got it on my kindle and read it. It's a standalone so it's perfect when you want to read something without having to commit to a series. It's also Nicola Yoon's debut novel so I was looking forward to seeing what her writing was like and to be honest with you, I wasn't disappointed. Her use of language isn't complicated and isn't overburdened with complex words which makes it more approachable for everyone. What also struck me was the unique plot in this book. It's not everyday you get to read books about this particular disease. And before I read this book I didnt even knew it existed! So it was very informative indeed and enabled us to walk on someone who's suffering from this illness' shoes. This book has got me giggling in the middle of the night and made me smile throughout my reading experience.

The main character, Madeline was easily relatable. I admire her ability to stay positive and content despite her conditions. She was sarcastic and funny too. She was really engaging to the point that I feel like I know her personally. To her diary entries, her mini spoiler reviews and her IMs. I love the fact that she's POC; her dad is Japanese and her mom is African-American. 

And then there's Oliver. I really do like him. But I feel like his character isn't fully developed. I mean, besides that he does parkour and has some serious family issues, we don't really get that much about him. I would have loved to get to know him better. 

This book deals with issues that are still adamant today such as family problems so it is easier for readers to connect with it because I certainly do. It also deals with extreme grief over a loss and shows how it could affect people in life. 

My only problem with the book was when Madeline did something very unrealistic. I mean girls her age wouldn't even be able to do that but alas! in the book she did.... Other than that, this book was fantastic. I even read it one sitting! I also rated it four stars and I recommend that you read this too :) Thanks for reading x

Here are some of my favourite quotes:

"Madeline: I'm not a princess
Madeline: And I don't need rescuing"
- page 61

"One thing I'm certain of: Wanting just leads to more wanting. There's no end to desire." - page 95

"You're not living if you're not regretting." - page 197

"Love is worthing everything. Everything." - page 314

No comments:

Post a Comment